London: a city of contrasts

“Excuse me miss”

Radiohead was pumping loud out of my earphones.

“Excuse me”

The voice starts getting annoyed.

I turn. Look down. Just a step behind me on the escalator an irritated little man waves me off to make me slide further to the right-hand side of the escalator, pointing out the bold characters of the “stand on the right, walk on the left” sign, a few meters from us.

That was my very first approach with a Londoner, and I personally found it quite an unpleasant acquaintance. How insane, I thought, an overtaking lane on the escalator. Seen through the eyes of a young woman who’d always lived in the Venetian countryside that was absurd. However, just a year after the episode had occurred, I found myself being the inpatient commuter, who, grumbling loudly, informs the unaware tourist of the offence he’s just committed, a real sacrilege in the unstoppable metropolis. I hadn’t quite realized that the city swallowed me too, spitting me cruelly into its flow of people where the pace is fast and furious and people simply run.

London34

Here, a mixture of cultures and creeds blend together and rapidly moves through the jungle of blocks of flats and attractions where the traveler can be easily swept in. The pulsing heart of the UK never stops and, kept alive by 13 underground lines and a thick network of busesit is Europe’s largest city.

London01

Its multi-faceted personality is pervaded by a cosmopolitan soul which shows only a glimpse of Britain’s polite manners and tea culture, losing its identity to embrace the multicultural face that is Londons distinctive character.

London18

London27

Abundant in life and technically ahead of any other city in Europe but yet, London is made only for fighters (or fat wallets). Fighting for the best spot on the train, the apartment in the central or the best bargain in the ocean of opportunities the city is overloaded with – the vibrant metropolis is a beehive, and the industrious Londoners keep it moving.

London23

London22

London is divided into 6 zones , gathering a great number of major attractions within zone 1. Museums, restaurants, monuments and parks – anything can be found in the vibrant London, which, due to its vastness, is further divided into diverse neighborhoods. And it’s the diversity of the neighborhoods the fascinating part of it all, seeing the hippy Shoreditch rubbing shoulders with the touristy Piccadilly, and the punk-paradise Camdem Town in zone one like the posh South Kensington.

London30

London03

Some of my favorite destinations though, tend to be unknown to the traveler, but we are going to tell you all about it soon, with our: “London’s hidden gems”. Stay tuned.

For more info: http://www.visitlondon.com/

43 Comments Add yours

1. Hey great article! I’m a Londoner and I think you describe it really well 🙂

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Thanks a million, a positive feedback from a local is very much appreciated 😀

2. kateyhal says:

Great article. So true what you say about the different areas. And great photos too!!

3. Jhaneel says:

Amazing post! The photos are great and your descriptions are really on point. Makes me want to go back. I look forward to reading about the hidden gems!

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Thanks a lot! I’m going to refresh my memories of London at the end of the month and already planned a few sights I intend to write about 😊

4. Julia Murray says:

Great read! You write very well

5. Sruthi Ranjani says:

London! A place I have always dreamt of going to. Thanks a ton for the beautiful description.😃 Waiting for the piece on London’s hidden gems!

I don’t know if my blog might interest you but just in case😊-

I shall check it now 😊

6. Hahaha! Definitely the same experience I had the first time i was in London. You wrote it well. Brava!

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Ahah! It makes me feel better, I thought I was the only one. Thank you for your lovely comment !

7. Wow. Your pictures are really incredible! You’ve actually inspired me to try out street photography again! Thank you!! L x

1. APlaceWeLike says:

This is fantastic! Thank you so much x

8. nagarnish says:

Very nice photos of London. I can never get tired of London. 🙂

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Yep, that is true 🙂 Thanks!

9. Wow, this is such a great post! Since I’m going to London this summer, it’s great to read about what the city is like! Your writing style is one of the best I’ve seen and I can’t wait to read more x

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Wow,this is the loveliest comment ever received! I’m glad you liked it, and if you need any advice about London, I’m here to help x

10. Cherryl says:

Great article.

It’s so true that after living in London for a while we can eventually become like the very thing we criticise, which is sad, but its good to that we can be self aware – not totally consumed, and ‘sympathise with the tourist standing on the left of the escalator’ rather than tell them off lol 🙂

1. APlaceWeLike says:

That’s true 🙂 Thanks, appreciate you liked it!

11. This is where im from. Lovely photos 🙂

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Wow, a real Londoner? It is pretty rare nowadays 😉 Thanks !

1. Not my origin though 🙂

12. Great article, love the honesty. 🙂

Thanks, London tends to convey mix feelings but yet, I still live it 🙂

13. I’m looking forward to the hidden gems post.

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Thanks should be coming soon, just need to pop in town for a few shots!

Liked by 1 person

14. I can relate to the escalator part because I am totally the impatient commuter as well! Like your writing style, good job! 🙂

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Thanks, I guess that if you live in London it’s easy to get “impatient” at the underground stations – especially during rush hour 😊

15. Two things ,,,- 1st – I m packing my bags
    2nd – you owned me !…. Love to read more … M following u .. Can u suggest me more on improving my blogs . Would love to have ur suggestions

Absolutely ! Thank you for your lovely comment, I’ll check out your blog x

2. APlaceWeLike says:

It seems like a great start! I had a brief look and a few things caught my attention . First thing, your “About” section doesn’t exist ! There is only a standard WordPress text and I think you’d better remove it or add something real about you. Make it personal and try to make clear what your blog is about! Second thing, it appears “Menu and widget” on the right hand side and that doesn’t look nice, especially the widget part. I understand you are making the first steps as a blogger (you are not alone, I started a month and a half ago) but try to play around with it and customize it a bit – make it yours ! This being said, I think you have a good potential and great writing-skills and I’m looking forward to reading your next post 😊

Liked by 1 person

16. Hi, thank you for taking out the time to read and comment on my post about London.

I’m so glad you directed me to this post here, I find your experiences very, very relatable! London’s a real treat, isn’t it? I’ll always miss it.

1. APlaceWeLike says:

It is indeed ! And thanks for checking that out .

17. arv! says:

Love the write up! Even the featured pictures says a lot! Are you a London-er?

1. APlaceWeLike says:

Thank you! Nope, I lived there for 2 years but I’m currently located in Italy.

1. arv! says:

Wow! You’ve got mAny more opportunities to explore and photograph.

2. APlaceWeLike says:

Yep, indeed. I plan on blogging more about Venice and its surrounding soon (which happens to be my hometown ), and that is wonderfully inspiring! Venice seems to be born to be photographed 🙂

3. arv! says:

Ah! You’re lucky to be living in one of the most romantic cities in the World!

4. arv! says:

Will look forward to read about it

Liked by 1 person

18. Interesting! Ive yet to visit London, but from your post, it seems almost quite similar to Toronto lol. The “escalator rule” can be seen here as well haha.

1. APlaceWeLike says:

lol really? I guess it applies for every big city then 😊